Willesden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex. West Twyford is a chapelry of Willesden.
Alternative names: Wilsdon
Other places in the parish include: Willesden Green, Sherrick Green, Neasdon, Kilburn, Harlesden, Dollis Hill, and Brondesbury.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1569
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Kensal Green St John
- Hammersmith St Stephen
- Paddington Holy Trinity
- Paddington St James
- Hampstead St John
- Notting Hill St John
- Hendon St Mary
- West Twyford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WILLESDEN, or Wilsdon, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Hendon district, Middlesex. The village stands 1½ mile N by W of Willesden-Junction r. station, and 7½ WNW of St. Paul's, London; and has a post-office under London NW, a police station, and fairs on Holy Thursday and St. James' day. The parish includes W.-Green, Dollis-Hill, Sherrick-Green Neasdon, and Harlesden hamlets, Brondesbury domain, and parts of Kilburn and Kensal-Green villages. Acres, 4,190. Real property, £28,401. Pop. in 1851, 2,939; in 1861, 3,879. Houses, 642. Pop. in 1869, about 15,000. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given by King Athelstan to St. Paul's, London; and was known, at Domesday, as Willesdone. W. House, Brondesbury Park, Neasdon House, Dollis Hill, Harlesden House, Heathfield, Mapesbury House, Bramshill Lodge, Glyn-field House, and the Rookery are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £320. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church is later English. The rectory of Brandesbury and two p. curacies of Kilburn are separate benefices. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £27. The sub-district consists of W. parish and Twyford-Abbey extra-parochial tract.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales Wilson, John M. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. 1870-72.
Civil Registration District: Hendon
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's Cathedral
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Hendon
Hundred: Ossulstone (Kensington Division)