Whetstone is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Middlesex, created in 1833 from Finchley St Mary Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Independent/Congregational.
- Finchley St Mary
- Chipping Barnet
- Friern Barnet
- East Barnet
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHETSTONE, a chapelry, with a village, in Finchley parish, Middlesex; 2 miles NW of Colney-Hatch r. station, and 2 SSE of Barnet. It was constituted in 1836; and it has a post-office‡ under London N, and a police station. Pop., 1,801. Houses, 350. There are several good residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £170. Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is good; and there are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, and two public schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Barnet
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Barnet
Hundred: Ossulstone (Finsbury Division)