Shoreditch St Leonard is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Alternative names: St Leonard Shoreditch
Other places in the parish include: Holywell and Moorfields.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1807
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Calvinistic Methodist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, French Protestant, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Plymouth Brethren, Protestant Dissenters, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
Parishes adjacent to Shoreditch St Leonard
- Haggerston St Mary
- Old Street St Mark
- Hoxton St John
- Norton Folgate
- Curtain Road
- Finsbury St Paul
- Bethnal Green St Thomas
- St Botolph without Bishopsgate
- Bethnal Green St Philip
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shoreditch (St. Leonard), a parish in the Tower division of the hund. of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex. It includes the districts of Hoxton, Church-End, Moorfields, and Holywell-street. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of London; rated at £17; gross income £660. Patron, the archdeacon of London. The church is a handsome edifice, built from designs of the elder Mr. Dance. The west front has a Doric portico of the Roman style of architecture. The Independents, Baptists, and Methodists, have places of worship here; and there are 8 infant, 248 daily, 3 day and Sunday, and 10 Sunday, schools. A parochial school for boys is endowed with £66 10s., and another for girls with £169, per annum. The alms houses of the Haberdashers' company are situated at Hoxton; which see.
Almshouses for poor persons, appointed by the Ironmongers' company, are endowed with £703 3s. 1d. per annum. This extensive parish consists of numerous streets connecting it with the metropolis, and of extensive ranges of buildings along the roads to Kingsland, Hackney, and Bethnal Green. It is well-paved, lighted with gas, and has an ample supply of water. The principal branches of manufacture carried on here are connected with the silk factories in the neighbouring parish of Spitalfields: which see. Shoreditch is within the jurisdiction of a court of requests for the Tower Hamlets, for recovery of debts not exceeding £5, and within the limits of the new police act. Acres 620. Houses 10,698. A. P., in 1815, £139,868; in 1828, £294,243. Pop., in 1801, 33,766; in 1831, 68,564. Poor rates, in 1838, £22,598 18s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
- County: Middlesex
- Civil Registration District: Shoreditch
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of London
- Diocese: London
- Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
- Poor Law Union: Shoreditch
- Hundred: Ossulstone (Tower Division)
- Province: Canterbury