Norwood is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Middlesex, created in 1725 from chapelry in Hayes Ancient Parish; located on Tentelow Road.
Other places in the parish include: Norwood Green and North Hyde.
Alternative names: Norwood Precinct
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1654
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1671-74; 1799
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Southall Green St John
- Hanwell St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORWOOD, a village, a precinct, and a chapelry in Hayes parish, Middlesex. The village stands adjacent to the Grand Junction canal, 1½ mile SSE of Southall r.station, and 3 WNW of Brentford; and is a large place. The precinct contains also the hamlets of Norwood-Green, Southall, and Southall-Green, and part of the hamlet of North Hyde; includes the Hanwell, the Southall Park, and Dr. Horsburgh's lunatic asylums; and has a head post-office, of Southall, and a receiving post-office, of the name of Norwood-Green, under Southall. Real property, £15,734. Pop. in 1851, 2,693; in 1861, 4,484. Houses, 418. The manor belongs to Mills, Esq.; Osterley Park, to the Earl of Jersey. Norwood House is the seat of W. Rush, Esq.; Norwood Lodge, of W. Unwin, Esq. The inmates in the lunatic asylums, at the census of 1861, were 1,517 in the Hanwell, 39 in the Southall Park, and 18 in Dr. Horsburgh's. The chapelry of Norwood comprises all the precinct except the minor part, which forms the chapelry of Southall. Pop. in 1861, 4,010. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £400. Patron, the Rev. H. Worsley. The church is of the 15th century; was well restored in 1864; and has an interesting oak-roof, and a curious wooden belfry. There are a free-school and four alms-houses. The Marylebone parochial schools also are here; and, at the census of 1861, had 397 inmates.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Uxbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon and Shoreham
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Uxbridge