Hayes is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Other places in the parish include: Yeading, Woodend Green, North Hyde, and Botwell.
Alternative names: Heese
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1557
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1799
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Protestant Dissenters, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Southall Green
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAYES, or HEESE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Uxbridge district, Middlesex. The village stands near the Grand Junction canal and the Great Western railway, 3½ miles SE of Uxbridge; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Uxbridge. The parish contains also the precinct of Norwood, and the hamlets of Yeading, Botwell, and Woodend Green. Acres, 5,670. Real property, exclusive of Norwood, £15,193, of which £2,591 are in railways; inclusive of Norwood, £30,927. Pop., exc. of N., in 1851, 2,076; in 1861, 2,650 ; inc. of N., in 1851, 4,769; in 1861, 7,134. Houses, exc. of N., 489; inc. of N., 907. The increase of pop. arose partly from the erection of cottages for brick-makers, and partly from the establishment of the Marylebone parochial schools at Southall. The manor belonged, from 830, to the archbishops of Canterbury; had a manor-house, which was often a residence of the archbishops; passed to the Norths, the Jenyns, and others; and is now the Rectory House. Hayes Park, a fine mansion in a well-wooded park, is a lunatic asylum for the middle and upper classes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £700. Patron, the Rev. W. Randall. The church is early English, with portions of Norman; and contains sedilia, a curious font, and some brasses and monuments. The chapelries of Norwood and Southall are separate benefices. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, a national school, and charities £378. Bishop Wright and the Greek scholar, P. Young, were rectors. The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 14,123. Pop., 9,157. Houses, 1,321.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Middlesex
- Civil Registration District: Uxbridge
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon and Shoreham
- Diocese: London
- Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
- Poor Law Union: Uxbridge
- Hundred: Elthorne
- Province: Canterbury