Harmondsworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Other places in the parish include: Sepston.
Alternative names: Harmsworth
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1670
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629-30; 1639; 1801
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Society of Friends/Quaker.
- West Drayton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARMONDSWORTH, or HARMSWORTH, a village and a parish in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands near the river Colne, 1¾ mile S by W of West Drayton r. station, and 4¼ N by E of Staines; was known at Domesday as Hermodesworde; and has a post-office under Slough. The parish includes also the village of Sepston, and comprises 3,480 acres. Real property, £8,602. Pop., 1,385. Houses, 301. The manor belonged to Rouen abbey; went to William of Wykeham, bishop of Winchester, and from him to Winchester college; came to the Crown in the time of Henry VIII.; and was given by Edward VI. to Sir W. Paget. Market-gardening is carried on. Traces of an ancient entrenchment are in the south. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London; and, till 1868, was united with West Drayton. Value, £400. Patron, H. D. Burgh, Esq. The church is partly Norman, partly early English; and has stalls and a piscina. There are a national school, and charities £139.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Middlesex
- Civil Registration District: Staines
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex
- Diocese: London
- Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
- Poor Law Union: Staines
- Hundred: Elthorne
- Province: Canterbury