Harlington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1540
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629-30; 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- West Drayton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARLINGTON, a village and a parish in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands near the Grand Junction Canal. and the Great Western railway, 2¼ miles SE of West Drayton r. station, and 3½ NW by W of Hounslow; was known at Domesday as Herdintone; has a post-office under Hounslow, London W, and a police station; and gave the title of Earl, as Earl Arlington, to Secretary Bennett, who was born here in 1618, and who figured as one of the Cabal after the restoration of Charles II. A fair is held on Whit-Tuesday. The parish comprises 1,414 acres. Real property, £8,641; of which £36 are in the canal, and £1,376 in the railway. Pop. in 1851,872; in 1861, 1,159. Houses, 234. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cottages for brick-makers. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Lovells; passed to the Bennetts, to Lord Bolingbroke, and to the Berkeleys; and belongs now to Lord Fitzhardinge and Count de Salis. Dawley House was the seat of the Bennetts and of Lord Bolingbroke; and a wing of it still remains. Market-gardening is largely carried on. Hardington Lodge, the seat of the late W. Brown, Esq., stands amid charming grounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £478. Patron, the Rev. E. Davison. The church is ancient but good; has a fine Norman door; and contains two brasses of the 16th century, and monuments of the Lovells and the Bennetts. The churchyard contains a yew, of much celebrity, measuring 20 feet in girth of trunk. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £70. Bishop Kyte, and Trapp the translator of Virgil, were rectors.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Middlesex
- Civil Registration District: Staines
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex
- Diocese: London
- Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
- Poor Law Union: Staines
- Hundred: Elthorne
- Province: Canterbury