Harefield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Baptist
- West Hyde
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAREFIELD, a village and a parish in Uxbridge district, Middlesex. The village stands near the Grand Junction canal, the river Colne, and the boundary with Bucks, 3¾ miles N of Uxbridge r. station; was known at Domesday as Harefelle; and has a post-office under Uxbridge, and a police station. The parish comprises 4,513 acres. Real property, £8,772. Pop., 1,567. Houses, 325. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward the Confessor, to the Countess Goda; at Domesday, to Richard, son of Earl Brion; in 1284, to Roger de Bacheworth; in 1315, to Simon de Swanland; in next generation and till 1585, to the Newdegates; in 1585, to Sir Edmund Anderson; in 1601, to Sir Thomas Egerton, Lord keeper of the Great Seal, and his wife, the Countess Dowager of Derby; in the next generation, to their son, Lord Chandos; and from 1675 till the present time has belonged again to the Newdegates. Harefield Place, on a site near the church, was long the manorial seat; received a state visit from Queen Elizabeth; had associations or connexious with Milton’s “Arcades” and “Comus;” was burned down, in 1660, in the time of Lady Chandos; was rebuilt, soon after 1675, by Sir Richard Newdegate; and was taken down early in the present century. Harefield Place is now the seat of the Newdegates. Breakspere House took name from the family of Breakspere; was the residence of Nicholas Breakspere, who became Pope Adrian IV.; and is now the seat of William W. Drake, Esq. A monastic house, a cell to Clerkenwell priory, was founded in the parish by Alice de Clare, who probably held the manor prior to Roger de Bacheworth. The living is a donative in the diocese of London. Value, £64. Patron, C. N. Newdegate, Esq. The church is very ancient; belonged originally to either the Knights Templars or the Knights of St. John; underwent recent restoration and enlargement, at a cost of upwards of £3,000; and contains an elegant monument to the Countess of Derby, and several ancient monuments to the Newdegates. There are national schools, alms-houses for six widows, and other charities £73. Chief Justice Anderson was a resident.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Uxbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Uxbridge