Hampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Other places in the parish include: New Hampton and Hampton Court Palace.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1554
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629; 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Christians, Independent/Congregational, and Roman Catholic.
- West Molesey
- Hampton Wick
- East Molesey
- Sunbury on Thames
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAMPTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in the district of Kingston and county of Middlesex. The village stands on the river Thames, near the Thames Valley railway, 2 miles W of Kingston-on-Thames; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under London S.W. The parish includes also the hamlet of Hampton-Wick and the village of New Hampton. Acres, 3,190. Real property, exclusive of Hampton-Wick, £14,445, of which £300 are in gas works; inclusive of Hampton-Wick, £25,037. Pop., exc. of H. W., in 1851, 3,134; in 1861, 3,361. Houses, 592. Pop., inc. of H.W., in 1851, 4,802; in 1861, 5,355. Houses, 976. The property is much subdivided. Hampton Court palace is a prominent feature, and will be noticed in the article HAMPTON-COURT. Garrick Villa was built by Garrick; is a handsome edifice, with front by Adams; and contains paintings of Garrick in character by Zoffany. Bushy Park is partly within the limits; and there are many elegant villas. A dilapidated wooden bridge connected Hampton-Court with Moulsey, but was superseded by a new iron bridge in 1864; and a very handsome stone bridge connects Hampton-Wick with Kingston. Extensive works of the Southwark and Vauxhall water companies are above the village, and take supplies of water from the Thames for London. Races are run at Moulsey Hurst in the third week of June. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £356. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a brick edifice, on the site of an ancient church; consists of nave and aisles, with porch and square tower; and contains some handsome monuments and ancient tablets. The p. curacies of Hampton-Wick and New Hampton, and the chapel-royal of Hampton-Court, are separate charges. There are a free grammar school, two national schools, and charities £570. The sub-district contains also the parish of Teddington. Acres, 4,310. Pop., 6,538. Houses, 1,218.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Kingston
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Kingston