Hampstead St John is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Alternative names: St John Hampstead
Other places in the parish include: Kilburn.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Church of Scotland in England/Presbyterian Church in England, Particular Baptist, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- St John's Wood All Saints
- Finchley Holy Trinity
- Paddington St James
- St Marylebone St Mark
- Hendon St Mary
- St Pancras
- Portland Town
- St Pancras Christ Church
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAMPSTEAD, a metropolitan suburb, a parish, and a district in Middlesex. The suburb stands on the S side of a range of hills 400 feet high, on the line of Watling street, over a tunnel of the Kew branch of the North London railway, near a tunnel of the Northwestern railway, 5 miles NW of St. Paul's; is within the jurisdiction of the metropolitan police, and the central criminal court; has a station, of the name of Hampstead-Heath, with telegraph, on the Kew branch of the North London railway; and has also a post office under London NW, with receiving houses in High street, Adelaideroad, Victoria road, and Hampstead Green. It is thought, from the discovery at it of many Roman antiquities, to have probably been a Roman station; it had only five houses, and these cottages, in 986; it was noted, in the time of Henry VIII., as a great place for washerwomen, to whom the linen of the citizens of London were sent; it became, in the 17th century, the occasional resort of distinguished individuals and families; it was also, in that century, and till 1701, the place of election for the county; it acquired, about the commencement of the 18th century, high celebrity as a watering place, on account of medicinal springs, which are now deserted; Oxford. Value, £400. Patron, the Marquis of Downshire. The church is ancient, and has a low tower. The vicarage of Hermitage is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Hampstead
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Hampstead
Hundred: Ossulstone (Holborn Division)