Haggerston St Mary is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Middlesex, created in 1830 from Shoreditch St Leonard Ancient Parish; located on Haggerston Road.
Alternative names: Haggerstone
Other places in the parish include: Haggerston East and Haggerston West.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1829
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Hoxton Christ Church
- Shoreditch St Leonard
- Hoxton St John
- West Hackney
- South Hackney St John of Jerusalem
- Bethnal Green St Thomas
- Dalston St Philip
- DeBeauvoir Town
- Bethnal Green St Peter
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAGGERSTONE, a quondam hamlet, eight chapelries, and two sub-districts, in Shoreditch parish and district, Middlesex. The hamlet forms part of the metropolis; lies on the Regent's canal, 2 miles NE of St. Pauls; is within the London NE postal district, which has receiving houses in Shoreditch; was known, at Domesday, as Hergotstane; belonged then to the Gernons; is now a seat of much trade, with many wharves, many factories, the imperial gas works, several large chemical works, lime works, tile kilns, dye houses, and manufactories of hearth rugs, floor cloth, japanned leather, and bone ashes; and contains nine churches, Independent, Wesleyan, and other dissenting chapels, the Goldsmiths' almshouses, founded in 1705, the Ironmongers' alms houses, with a chapel, the Drapers' and the Framework knitters alms houses, and the Shoreditch workhouse. Acres, 257. Pop. in 1851, 31,627; in 1861, 40,570. Houses, 5,649. Haley, the astronomer, was a native. The head chapelry is St. Mary's, and was constituted in 1829. The others are All Saints, constituted in 1858; St. Paul's, in 1861; St. Andrew's, St. Augustine's, St. Columba's, St. Chad's, in 1864; St. Stephen's, in 1865. Five of the livings are vicarages, and three p. curacies, in the diocese of London. Value of St. M., £780; of A. S., £500; of St. P., £450; of St. S., £420; of each of the others, £200. Patron of St. M., the Archdeacon of L.; of A. S. and St. P., the Bishop; of St. And. and St. S., alt. the Crown and the Bishop; of the others, Trustees. St. Mary's church was built in 1827, at a cost of £15,000; and improved in 1861, at a cost of £60,000. St. Paul's church was built in 1860, at a cost of £6,120; St. Andrew's in 1867, at a cost of £10,000; another in 1869. The sub-districts are East H. and West H.; and are separated by a line drawn from Hackney road, through Haggerstone, past St. Mary's church. Pop:, 17,310 and 23,260.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Shoreditch
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of London
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Shoreditch
Hundred: Ossulstone (Tower Division)