Greenford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Alternative names: Great Greenford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629-1630; 1800
- Ealing St Mary
- Hanwell St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GREENFORD (GREAT), a village and a parish in Brentford district, Middlesex. The village stands gear the river Brent and the Paddington canal, 1½ mile N by W of Hanwell r. station, and 4 NW by N of Brentford; was known to the Saxons as Greneforde; is a long, straggling place; and has a post office, of the game of Greenford, under Hanwell, London W. The parish comprises 2,009 acres. Real property, £5,426. Pop., 557. Houses, 114. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given by King Etheldred to Westminster Abbey, and belongs now to the bishop of London. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £700. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, of flint, and good; and contains some tombs and brasses. A school has £214 from endowment; and other charities have £35.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Brentford
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Brentford