Great Stanmore is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Alternative names: Great Stanmore
Other places in the parish include: Stanmore Marsh.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1599
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
- Little Stanmore
- Harrow Weald
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STANMORE (Great), a village and a parish in Hendon district, Middlesex. The village stands on a hillslope, near Watling-street, 2 miles NW of Edgware r. station; is about a mile long; and has a post-office‡ under London NW, and a hotel. The parish contains also S. Marsh hamlet, and comprises 1,441 acres. Real property, £7,709. Pop. in 1851, 1,180; in 1861, 1,318. Houses, 259. The manor was held, at Domesday, by Earl Mortaigne; and passed to St. Albans abbey, Smithfield priory, the Spaniard Gambo, the Lakes, the Brydgeses, the Drummonds, the Abercorns, and the Kelks. Bentley Priory occupies the site of an ancient priory; belonged, for some time, to the Marquis of Abercorn: was the residence and death-place of Queen Adelaide; and is now the seat of J. Kelk, Esq. S. Park, S. Hall, Broomfield, Aylwards, Warren House, the Lymes, and the Pynnacles also are chief residences. George IV., when Prince Regent, and the allied sovereigns, met in the parish, on the eve of Louis XVIII.'s restoration. A splendid view is obtained from the summit of Bushey Heath. Roman coins have been found at Bentley Priory; and a treasure of French and Spanish coins, to the value of about £4,000, was found in a field near the parsonage. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £440. Patron, the Rev. L. J. Bernays. The church was built in 1850, at a cost of £8,000; and is in the pointed style. There are national schools, and considerable charities. Archbishop Boyle was rector; Dr. Parr took pupils at S. Hill; and Forbes, the author of "Oriental Memoirs,'' was a resident.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Hendon
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Hendon