Friern Barnet is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Alternative names: Friern Barnet, Fryern Barnet
Other places in the parish include: Colney Hatch.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1673
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
- Finchley St Mary
- East Barnet
- Wood Green
- Muswell Hill St James
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARNET-FRYERN, a parish in Barnet district, Middlesex; on the northern verge of the county, 1½ mile W by N of Southgate and Colney-Hatch r. station, and 3 miles SSE of Barnet. It contains the hamlet of Colney-Hatch, and part of the village of Whetstone; both of which have post offices under London N. Acres, 1,292. Real property, £6,552. Pop., 3,344. Houses, 241. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £255. Patrons,-the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church was restored in 1853. There are national schools, seven alms-houses, and some other charities. Walker, the author of "the Pronouncing Dictionary," was a native; and Judge Popham, a resident. See Colney-Hatch.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Barnet
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's Cathedral
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Barnet
Hundred: Ossulstone (Finsbury Division)