Edgware is a chapelry of Kingsbury Ancient Parish in Middlesex.
Alternative names: Edgeware, Eggesware
Other places in the parish include: Idlestree, Elstree, and Edgwarebury.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1717
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630; 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Little Stanmore
- Mill Hill St Paul
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EDGWARE, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district in Hendon district, Middlesex. The town stands on Watling-street, at the terminus of the London and Edgware railway, 4 miles NE of Harrow; is partly in Little Stanmore parish; was known formerly as Edgeware; consists chiefly of one street; was formerly a market town; has still a fair on the first Monday of Aug., with races on the two following days; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling-place; publishes a weekly newspaper; and has a post office under London, NW. The parish includes also Edgwarebury and part of the village of Elstree. Acres, 1,979. Real property, £5,677. Pop., 705. Houses, 148. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged formerly to the Lonspées, the Lacys, and others; and belongs now to All-Souls college, Oxford. Canons, an adjacent estate in Little Stanmore parish, belonged to the first duke of Chandos, and belongs now to David Begg, Esq. A magnificent palace was built on it by the Duke of Chandos, at a cost of upwards of £250,000; and was the place where Handel composed much of his music, while acting as chapel-master to the Duke; but was pulled down in 1747. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, 493. Patron, Dr. John Lee. The church was rebuilt in 1845, but has the tower of a previous edifice. There are an Independent chapel, two national schools, and alms-houses with £131. Francis Coventry, the author of "Pompey the Little," and Thomas Martyn, a Cambridge professor who died in 1797, were vicars. The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 6,737. Pop., 3,423. Houses, 651.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Hendon
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Hendon