Cowley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Middlesex.
Alternative names: Cowley Peachy
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629-30; 1639; 1800
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COWLEY, or Cowley-Peachy, a parish in Uxbridge district, Middlesex; on the Roman road from Staines to St. Albans, the river Colne, and the Grand Junction canal, at the boundary with Bucks 1½ mile S of Uxbridge r. station, and 1½ N of West Drayton. It has a post office, of the name of Cowley, under Uxbridge. Acres, 300. Real property, £2,182. Pop., 371. Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Pecches; and belongs now to W. E. Hilliard, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £230. Patron, W. E. Hilliard, Esq. The church has a monument to Booth the tragedian; and is good. Charities, £19.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Uxbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Uxbridge