Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1829
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1888
Nonconformists include: Independents, Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Brompton
- Kensington St Mary Abbots
- Wilton Place
- St George Hanover Square
- West Brompton
- Chelsea St Luke
- Knightsbridge All Saints
- Upper Chelsea St Saviour
Historical Descriptions of Brompton Middlesex
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BROMPTON, a suburb of London, a subdistrict, in the parish and district of Kensington, Middlesex; between Knightsbridge and Chelsea, 3½ miles SW by W of St. Paul’s. It has post offices under London, S. W., and a large railway station of West Brompton. Acres, 698. Pop. in 1841, 9,465; in 1861, 18,198. Houses, 2,572. The north-eastern part is called Old Brompton; and the south-eastern part, New Brompton. Large part of the area is occupied by streets, terraces, crescents, and squares, chiefly of recent erection; and form a continuous town between Belgravia and Chelsea. A part, formerly called Brompton Park, was famous, for nearly two hundred years, as a nursery garden. The consumption hospital, in Fulham road, was founded in 1846; has accommodation for 230 patients; and includes a beautiful chapel, built in 1850. A cancer hospital was established in 1851; and a new building for it, with a principal front 130 feet long, was built in 1859, at a cost of £7,000. Trinity church was erected in 1828; and the burying ground connected with it was formed out of a flower garden, a fact turned to high poetical account by Miss Landon. Three other churches are in Old Brompton, West Brompton and Onslow square; and all are vicarages in the diocese of London. Value of Trinity vicarage, £639; of West Brompton, £300; of the others, not reported. Patron of Trinity, the Bishop of London; of West Brompton, the Incorporation of Brompton; of Old Brompton chapel, the Vicar of K.; of St. Paul’s Onslow square,J. Freake, Esq. There are several dissenting chapels; and there is a Roman Catholic establishment, with a spacious chapel. Henry Cromwell, William Penn Ford, Count Rumford, A. Murphy, John Philpot Curran, Sir Richard Phillips, the Rev. W. Beloe, Charles Incledon, George Colman, and John Reeve, were residents.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bankrupts from Brompton Middlesex
The Bankrupt Directory 1843
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Baverstock Richard, Brompton. Middlesex, plumber, May 8, 1821.
Benham Wm., Alexander sq., Brompton, boarding-house keeper, Jan. 21, 1840.
Blatch Wm. & Wm. Lampert; Grove place, Brompton, printers, Nov. 30, 1841.
Browne Wm. Edmund, Brompton grove, Middlesex, merch., March 17, 1835.
Dean James, Brompton, Middlesex, timber merchant, Feb. 19, 1825.
Fraser Robt., Middle Queen’s buildings, Brompton, wine merch., Dec. 23, 1834.
Greenacre John, Brompton, Middlesex, builder, April 20, 1832.
Harrison Sam.; &. Wm. Bristow; Old Brompton, nurserymen, Nov. 16, 1832.
Innes John ; & Chas. Sharpe Bracher ;Old Brompton, brewers, Dec. 20, 1830.
Jennings Timmins; and Thomas Jennings, jun.; Brompton grove, Kensington, livery stable keepers, Jan. 30, 1835.
Maybery Charles, Earl’s court, Old Brompton, apothecary, Aug. 20, 1841.
Needham Robert, Queen’s buildings, Brompton rd., silversmith, Nov. 17, 1821.
Norton Jas., Brompton, Middlesex, master mariner & merchant, June 25, 1825.
Pye Wm., Eagle Saw mills, Old Brompton, and Barnes, builder, Dec. 13, 1842.
Pyne Charles, Earl’s court, Brompton, Middlesex, dyer, Jan. 24, 1832,
Ram John, Queen’s buildings, Brompton, upholsterer, Nov. 29, 1839.
Ramsay David, Gloucester road, Old Brompton, nurseryman, Jan. 24, 1834.
Rice Thomas, Old Brompton, mason and builder, April 19, 1833.
Rose James George, Brompton, Middlesex, dealer & chapman, May 18, 1822.
Rutter Peter, Chapel place, Brompton, livery-stable keeper, Oct, 80, 1832.
Williams Wm. Spalding, Charles st., Brompton, coach master,Nov. 19, 1822.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Kensington
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Kensington
Hundred: Ossulstone (Kensington Division)