Status: Ancient Parish (abolished in 1907) succeeded by Bromley Ecclesiastical Parish; Civil Parish
A map showing the civil parishes of the Metropolis districts of Whitechapel, Limehouse and Poplar as they appeared in 1870. Based on the Ordnance Survey Town Plan of London (1871-76) at 1:1056 scale.
Alternative names: St Leonard Bromley, Bromley St Leonard, Bromley-by-Bow
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers:
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Bromley
- Stratford St John
- Stratford Bow St Mary
- Poplar All Saints
- West Ham
- Stepney St Dunstan
- Mile End Old Town Holy Trinity
- Limehouse St Anne
This area suffered heavily in the Blitz and St Leonards Church was destroyed by enemy action in 1941. The ruins and much of the churchyard were swept away when the Blackwall Tunnel Approach Road was built through the area in the 1960s.
Historical Descriptions of Bromley Middlesex
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BROMLEY-ST.-LEONARD, a parish in Poplar district, Middlesex; on the river Lea, the Limehouse cut, and the North London and Eastern Counties railways, near Bow and Stratford stations, 3¾ miles ENE of St. Paul's, London. It has a post office, of the name of Bromley, under Bow, London, E. Acres, 619. Real property, £81,313. Pop., 24,077. Houses, 3,407. Part of the land is disposed in market gardens. Many of the inhabitants are employed in calico print works, mills, a pearlash factory, a brewery, a distillery, and the East and West India docks. The limits include part of the city of London workhouse, and part of Tower Hamlets cemetery. A Benedictine nunnery, dedicated to St. Leonard, was founded at Bromley, in the time of the Conqueror, by William Bishop of London; and given, at the dissolution, to Sir Ralph Sadler. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £300. Patron, J. Walter, Esq. The church belonged to the nunnery, and has Norman traces. The vicarage of St. Michael and the p. curacies of St. Leonard's chapel, St. Gabriel, and St. Andrew are separate benefices. Value of St. M., £300; of St. G. and St. A. each £200. St. M.'s church was built in 1866-8; and is in the early English style. St. A.'s and St. G.'s were built in 1869. There are a Wesleyan chapel, public schools, almshouses, and some charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Hale John, Bromley, Middlesex, mealman, Feb. 6, 1829.
Hale John, Bromley, Middlesex, maltsterand com merchant. July 8, 1836.
Hills Thomas, Bromley, Middlesex, and Queenborough, chemist, Jan. 24, 1826.
Civil Registration District: Poplar
Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
Poor Law Union: Poplar
Hundred: Ossulstone (Tower Division)
- In 1901 was reduced to enlarge Limehouse
- In 1901 was reduced to enlarge Mile End Old Town
- In 1901 was enlarged by gaining part of Mile End Old Town