Ashford is a Parish in Middlesex.
Ashford is a town almost entirely in the Surrey borough of Spelthorne in England, with a small part falling within Greater London. It is a suburban development situated 15 miles (24 km) west south-west of Charing Cross in London and forms part of the London commuter belt. It is often referred to as Ashford, Middlesex to distinguish it from the larger town of Ashford, Kent, because it fell within the historic county of Middlesex. Since 1965, when Middlesex County Council was dissolved, it has been administered by Surrey County Council and the small London section by the London Borough of Hounslow.
Source: Wikimedia Commons
Parish church: St. Michael. The church was rebuilt in 1859 and dedicated to St. Matthew
Parish registers begin: 1699
Parishes adjacent to Ashford
- Sunbury on Thames
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHFORD, a village and a parish in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands amid a richly-cultivated tract, near the London, Richmond, and Reading railway, 2 miles E of Staines; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Staines. The parish includes the western part of Old Hounslow Heath, once the retreat of highwaymen, and the terror of travellers. Acres, 1,378, Real property, £3,586. Pop., 784. Houses, 130. Ashford Common was formerly a field for military reviews, but has now been long enclosed and cultivated. Ashford Lodge, Manor House, and Clock House are handsome seats. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £136. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1859. A Welsh charity school, an edifice in the Tudor style, for 200 children. was founded in 1857.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashford, 2 m. S.E. Staines. P. 524
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
ASHFORD, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of SPELTHORNE, county of MIDDLESEX, 3 miles (E.) from Staines, containing 331 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Middlesex, and diocese of London, and in the patronage of the Crown. The chapel is dedicated to St. Michael.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Ashford Parish Registers
Family History Links
- County: Middlesex
- Civil Registration District: Staines
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex
- Diocese: London
- Rural Deanery: Not created until 1858
- Poor Law Union: Staines
- Hundred: Spelthorne
- Province: Canterbury