James’s (St.), Garlickhithe. A church in the ward of Vintry, destroyed in the Great Fire, and rebuilt by Wren, as we now see it, in 1676. It “a poor and indifferent specimen of his abilities – perhaps the worst in London. The altar-piece was painted by the late A. Geddes, A.R.A.; and the church called Garlickhithe, or Garlick-hive, “for that of old time, on the bank of the river Thames, near to this church, garlick was usually sold.” There is a figure of St. James over the clock. The living is in the gift of the Bishop of London.
Source: A Handbook for London, Past and Present. Peter Cunningham. Published by John Murray 1849.