St Ann and St Agnes with St John Zachary is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of London, created in 1670 from St Ann and St Agnes Ancient Parish and St John Zachary Ancient Parish; located on Anns Lane.
Other places in the parish include: St Martin le Grand.
Parish registers begin: 1640
Nonconformists include: French Protestant, Presbyterian, Sandemanian, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to St Ann and St Agnes with St John Zachary
- St Alban Wood Street with St Olave Silver Street
- St Botolph Aldersgate
- St Michael Wood Street with St Mary Staining
- Christ Church, Newgate Street with St Leonard, Foster Lane
- St Vedast Foster Lane with St Michael-le-Querne
London Parishes 1824
St. ANN's within ALDERSGATE, and St. JOHN ZACHARY.
The first of these churches takes its name from being dedicated to St. Ann, the mother of the Virgin Mary.
When this church was built is uncertain': however, we find it mentioned in 1400. It was burnt accidentally in 1548, repaired in 1624, destroyed in 1666, and rebuilt in J6S9, which cost, £2448. Os. 10d.
It is situate on the north side of St. Ann's lane, on the east side of St. Martins le Grand, and is in Aldersgate ward within the walls: to which is united, by act of Parliament, the parish of St. John Zachary, which church was founded by Sir Nicholas Twyford, whose corpse was discovered about ninety years since, immured in a cavity of the ruined wall on the south side of the altar: this church was burnt in 1666, and not since rebuilt.
It is a rectory in the gift of the bishop of London and the dean and chapter of St. Paul's, who present alternately. Value, per act of parliament 44 Geo. III., .£233. 6s. 8d, and two glebe houses.
The Rector is the Rev. John Hutchins, and the Lecturer is the Rev. Joseph Rose. — Parish-clerk, Mr. J. H. Gaenons. Divine service at 11 and a quarter past 3. The vestries are general. Only 1 bell. There is a gift sermon every New Year's Day, on which occasion the Company of Cordwainers attend this church. There are two very excellent charity -schools.
In the parish of St. John Zachary, are Goldsmiths' Hall and Waxchandlers' Hall. N.B. As these united parishes are so materially affected by the intended new Post Office, it may be expedient to give a description of the original boundaries. The parish of St. Ann comprehends, in St. Martins le Grand, the east side from Aldersgate to Dean's court, and 3 houses (except three dwellings in this compass, which are in the parish of Christ church) farther southward: about half of St. Ann's lane, and of Bell court. On the west side of St. Martin's le Grand it takes in from the gate to one house southward to Four Dove court, and in that compass half of Bull and Mouth street, half Angel street, King's head court, part of Lillipot lane, and part of Noble street. About 50 houses in this parish. The parish of St. John Zachary takes in eight houses on the south side of Maiden lane eastward from Waxchandlers' Hall, and that hall, and four houses in Mutton court: seven houses from Maiden lane southward on the east side of Gutter lane, three houses in Huggin lane, and three on the west side of Gutter lane, next unto and southward from Goldsmiths' Hall, and six houses on the south side, and eight on the north side of Cary lane, and five on the east side of Foster lane, southward from Goldsmiths' Hall, and that hall; 10 houses on the west side of that lane, southward from St. Ann's lane; nine houses in Bell court, four in Three crown court, five houses on the south side of St. Ann's lane westward from Foster lane, and three on the north side; three houses next to St. John Zachary's church yard, one being the rec tor's, on the east side of Noble street, and six on the north side of Maiden lane, eastward from that church yard, and six houses northward on the west side of Staining lane from Maiden lane. About 40 houses in this parish.
Source: London parishes: containing the situation, antiquity, and re-building of the churches within the bills of mortality. B. Weed 1824
- County: London
- Civil Registration District: London City
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of London, Court of the Royal Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster
- Diocese: London
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1869 - None, Post-1868 - West
- Poor Law Union: City of London
- Hundred: London, Within the Walls
- Province: Canterbury