St Andrew Undershaft with St Mary Axe is an Ancient Parish in the county of London.
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to St Andrew Undershaft with St Mary Axe
- St Dionis Backchurch
- St Peter Cornhill
- St Helen Bishopsgate
- St Katherine Cree
- All Hallows, London Wall
- St Margaret Pattens with St Gabriel Fenchurch
- All Hallows Staining
St. ANDREW, UNDERSHAFT.
It is so called from being dedicated to St. Andrew the apostle; and Undeishaft is added on account of a long shaft or May-pole, higher than the church-steeple, being set up in the middle of Leadenhall street before the south door of the church every May-day morning, till May-day 1517; afterwards called Evil May-day, because the apprentices and others, exasperated by the too free access of foreigners (to the great decay of trade), and by a bill of complaint put up by one Lincoln, and read by the minister of the Spittle, fell upon, plundered, and destroyed the houses of strangers, for which Lincoln and thirteen more were hanged in several places of the city. This shaft was never erected afterwards, but lay under the penthouse of several houses, (called afterwards, from that, Shaft-court,) for the space of 32 years; and was then divided, every one having as much as was in front of his house.
This church was rebuilt in 1532, and finished, for the most part, at the charge of William Fitz-Wilhams Esq. (sheriff of London 1506); it was repaired and beautified at the parish charge in 1627, and in February 1704 was new wainscoted, pewed, paved, and then finished at the parish-charge, having providentially escaped the dreadful fire in the year 1666, and repaired and beautified, anno 1723, at the parish-charge.
It is situate on the north side of Leadenhall-street at the coiner of St. Mary Axe, into which street there is also a door out of the church-yard ; the church is in the ward of Aldgate, within the walls, but part of the parish is in the ward of Lime-street.
It is a rectory in the gift of the Lord Bishop of London, rated in the king’s books at £5 ; said to be worth about £700. per annum. The rector is the Rev. W. Antrobus, and the Lecturer is the Rev. H. J. Knapp. — Parish-clerk, Mr. Joseph Gorton. Divine service at a quarter past 11 and a quarter past 3. The vestry is general. 6 bells. About 150 houses.
According to the will of a Mr. Matthias Datchelor, a sermon is preached in this church on New Year’s Day, for which the rector receives, £10, the clerk £4, and the sexton £l. Under this will are given two apprentice fees of £10; the children to be resident in the parish, and to have been born therein. The said Mr. Matthias Datchelor also by his will directed that £1. should be given annually to a cer tain number of poor inhabitants, not receiving parochial relief. But the trustees under the will are prohibited from paying the before-mentioned bequests until affidavits are delivered to them, made by the clerk and sexton, staling that the testator’s family vault has not, to the best of their knowledge and belief, been opened, except for repairs, during the past year.
Mr. Stowe was entombed in this church. In the chancel of which is his monument, with the following inscription : — Memoriae sacrvm resvrrectionem in Christo hie expectat Johannes Stowe civis Londinensis qvi in antiqvis mouvmeiitis
Source: London parishes: containing the situation, antiquity, and re-building of the churches within the bills of mortality. B. Weed 1824
- County: London
- Civil Registration District: London City
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
- Diocese: London
- Rural Deanery: Post-1868 – East, Pre-1869 – None
- Poor Law Union: City of London
- Hundred: London, Within the Walls
- Province: Canterbury