St Alphage London Wall, London Family History Guide

St Alphage London Wall is an Ancient Parish in the county of London. St Alphage London Wall was amalgamated with that of St Mary Aldermanbury in 1917 and then the amalgamated parish was united with St Giles Cripplegate in 1954.

Alternative names: St Alphage, Sion College

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1613
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1629-30; 1639-40; 1800

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Adjacent Parishes

  • St Alban Wood Street with St Olave Silver Street
  • St Stephen Coleman Street
  • St Giles without Cripplegate
  • St Mary Aldermanbury
  • St Bartholomew Moor Lane
  • St Michael Bassishaw

Historical Descriptions

London Parishes 1824

This church derives its name from being dedicated to St. Alphage, called, by some historians, Allege, and by others, Alphy : he was archbishop of Canterbury ; a man of exemplary abstinence and piety, never eating, drinking, or sleeping, more than necessity compelled him. lie was descended from noble parentage, educated in all good learning, and spent hit time in prayer and study. The Danes stoned him to death at Greenwich in the year 1012, and he was canonized on the 19th of April, in the same year.

The old church originally adjoined to the east end of Cripplegate, and falling to decay about the year 1535, the parishioners petitioned government for license to rebuild it ; but they could only obtain a grant for using the old materials, in order to repair and make good an old chapel belonging to a Spittle, which was formerly called Elsing Spittle, from Sir Thomas Elsiug the founder of it.

This church is situate at the north west end of Aldermanbury, in the ward of Cripplegate within.

It is a rectory in the gift of the Bishop of London, rated in the King's books at £8, said to be worth about ,£250 per annum.

Rector, 'Rev. R. Watts. — No Lecturer. — Parish-clerk, Mr. W. Smith.

Divine service at 11 and 3.
An open vestry. 2 bells. About 150 houses.

In this parish is Sion College, where there is an excellent library for the use of the London Clergy. By a clause in the charter of incorporation, granted by King Charles I., in the sixth year of his reign, the bishop of London for the time being is appointed visitor. Here are also ten alms-houses, for ten men and ten women, founded by the late Rev. Dr. White ; and several alms-houses in Monkwell-street. Curriers' Hall, and Cripplegate charity- schools are also in this parish.

From the corner of Aldermanbury this parish extends to No. 52 Wood street, including part of Philip lane and the courts in this way; and on the west side of Wood street from No. 75 to the Scotch church in London wall. It takes eight houses on the south side of Fell street, and all the north side. From Fell street corner northward it reaches to Hart street, and on the south side of Hart street to Monkwell street. Seven houses in London wail, eastward of Aldermanbury, and seven houses on the west side of Aldermanbury are also in this parish.

Source: London parishes: containing the situation, antiquity, and re-building of the churches within the bills of mortality. B. Weed 1824

A Topographical Dictionary of London and Its Environs 1831

ST ALPHAGE the church of is situated in Aldermanbury and London wall having an entrance from each It derives its name from St Alphage or Elphage a noble Saxon saint and Archbishop of Canterbury who was murdered at Greenwich by the Danes in the year 1013 The former church which was a small and mean edifice escaped the flames in 1666 but has been recently rebuilt from the designs the younger Mr George Dance It has the singularity of having elliptical columns instead of circular where being attached to the wall in a very narrow street great projection could not be obtained and consequently produce a better effect of light and shade from the depth of the undercutting than either pilasters or half columns The living is a rectory in patronage of the Bishop of London and present rector is the Rev Robert Watts one of the prebendaries of St Paul's was instituted in 1799 

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of London and Its Environs 1831; James Elmes; Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831

Administration

County: London
Civil Registration District: London City
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of London
Diocese: London
Rural Deanery: Pre-1869 - None, Post-1868 - West
Poor Law Union: City of London
Hundred: London, Within the Walls
Province: Canterbury