Holborn St Andrew London & Middlesex Family History Guide

Holborn St Andrew is an Ancient Parish partly in London and partly in Middlesex; Located on Holborn Circus. 

Other places in the parish include: Ely Rents, Hatton Garden, St Andrew Holborn Below the Bars, and Ely Place. 

Alternative names: St Andrew Holborn, St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars, St Andrew's Holborn

Parish church: St Andrew 

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1556
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1639-40; 1833-35

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Furnival's Inn
  • St Bride
  • Gray's Inn Road
  • Furnival's Inn
  • St Thomas in the Liberty of the Rolls
  • Holy Trinity Gough Square
  • Thavie's Inn
  • St Dunstan in the West
  • St Sepulchre
  • Staple Inn
  • Barnard's Inn
  • Saffron Hill St Peter

Historical Descriptions

London Parishes 1824

St. ANDREW, Holborn.

This church takes its name from the saint to whom it is dedicated; he was the first whom our Saviour called to be a disciple, about the year 30: after whose death he preached the gospel, and sealed the truth thereof with his blood at Patrae, in Achaia, having been condemned by ^Egeus. His body was removed to Constantinople in the year 357, by order of the emperor Constantine the Great. We have no certain account when it was first built; but it was rebuilt Anno 1687, and the steeple was erected in 1704. It is situate on the south side of Holborn hill, at some distance from the street ; the church is in the ward of Farringdon without the walls of London, but within the liberty and freedom ; and the parish is divided, 1st, into the liberty of London; 2d, into the liberty of Saffron hill or Hatton garden; 3d, into the liberty of Ely; and 4th, into the liberty above the Bars. It is a rectory in the gift of the duchess of Buccleugh. Rated in the king's books at £l8. Value per act of parliament, 3 Geo. IV., ,£700 per annum. Rector, Rev. G. Beresford.— Lecturers, Rev. Mr. Ackland, and the Rev. Mr. Black — Officiating parish- clerk, Mr. S. M. Hicks. Divine service on Sundays at 11, 3, and 7, and at a quarter past 11 and a quarter past 3 on the other days of the week. The vestry is select. — 8 bells. — About 5000 houses. In Hatton Garden is a school, supported by subscriptions, &c. of the inhabitants of this parish. There are three workhouses for the poor of this parish ; one on Saffron hill, one on Little Saffron hill, and one in Little Gray's Inn lane. This parish begins within 3 houses of George alley, Fleet market, and extends as far as Gridiron court on the south side of Holborn, including in that compass as far as No. 80 on the west side of Shoe lane, and the like distance on the east side. In Fetter lane it extends to Church-yard alley, taking the north side of that alley. In Chancery lane it reaches to Cursitor's court, comprising the greater part of Lincoln's Inn, with the courts, &c. in this compass. From the north side of Holborn bridge it extends to No. 110 High Holborn, including Field lane, part of West street, all Saffron hili, Back hill, Hatton Garden, Leather lane, with part of Brook street and market, Gray's Inn lane, Gray's Inn, Little Gray's Inn lane, Liquorpond street, Portpool lane, Fullwood's Rents, Brownlow street, Warwick court, Feather-stone's buildings, part of the west side of Red Lion street, and the south side of Eagle street, all the east side of Red Lion street, Bedford street, Bedford row, Great James street, part of Theobald's row, the King's road, and ail other streets, lanes, courts, &c. in this circuit.

Source: London parishes: containing the situation, antiquity, and re-building of the churches within the bills of mortality. B. Weed 1824

A Topographical Dictionary of London and Its Environs 1831

ST ANDREW'S Holborn the church of stands at the north east corner of Holborn hill and Shoe lane and is dedicated to St Andrew the Apostle who is distinguished in church history as the earliest of the apostles and as having suffered martyrdom in Achaia There was a church on this site as early as the year 1297 which escaped the fire of London in 1666 but ten years after being found too ruinous for reparation it was taken down except the tower in 1686 and the present church erected in its place by Sir Christopher Wren It is one of the finest and most appropriate Protestant churches in Europe Its exterior is plain simple and unpretending consisting of a basement under the galleries with low windows which light the aisles and an upper story of semicircular headed windows for the galleries and nave crowned by a well proportioned cornice blocking course and balustrade The tower which is the ancient one newly faced with Portland stone ashlering in 1704 is square and has no pretensions either to beauty or to taste the interior is spacious rich and beautiful consisting of a nave and two aisles divided in height into a ground story and galleries It is one hundred and five feet long sixty three feet broad and forty three feet high The living is a rectory worth above 600 a year The patronage was originally in the gift of the Dean and Canons of St Paul's who transferred it to the Abbot and Convent of Bermondsey who continued to be its patrons till their dissolution by Henry VIII when that monarch granted it to Thomas Lord Wriothesley afterwards Earl of Southampton from whom it descended by marriage to the late Duke of Montague It is now in the patronage of the Duke of Buccleugh and its present rector is the Rev Gilbert Beresford who was instituted in 1819 

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of London and Its Environs 1831; James Elmes; Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831

Administration

County: London
Civil Registration District: Holborn
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of London
Diocese: London
Rural Deanery: Pre-1861 - None, Post-1860 - St Sepulchre
Poor Law Union: Holborn
Hundred: London, Within the Walls; Ossulstone (Holborn Division)
Province: Canterbury