Giltspur Street, Newgate Street. Otherwise Knightriders Street, and so called “of the knights and others riding that way into Smithfield.” It was originally a very short street, extending no further than the east end of the present Compter; the highway beyond, as far as Smithfield, was called Pie-corner. Observe. – On the east side, Giltspur-street Compter: on the west, St. Sepulchre’s Church; Cock-lane, (the scene of “the Cock-lane ghost”); and the figure of a boy over a public-house, at the corner of Cock-lane, erected to commemorate the Great Fire of 1666.
Source: A Handbook for London, Past and Present. Peter Cunningham. Published by John Murray 1849.