Christ’s Hospital, Newgate Street, was founded by Edward VI., for supporting and educating the fatherless children of poor freemen of the city; of whom 1000, of both sexes, are generally maintained in the house, or out at nurse, and are also clothed and educated. Forty boys are qualified for the sea. These wear appropriate badges, and their classes are examined by the elder brethren of the Trinity-house; ten of them are yearly appointed to ship masters, and ten others received into their places. The other boys are apprenticed to different trades, at the charge of the hospital; or, if properly qualified are sent to Oxford or Cambridge. One scholar is sent every year, except on the return of every seventh year, when two are sent.
Source: England and Wales Delineated by Thomas Dugdale assisted by William Burnett; published by Tallis & Co., Green Arbour Court, Old Bailey, 1835.