All Hallows Staining is an Ancient Parish in the county of London.
Parish registers begin: 1642
Parishes adjacent to All Hallows Staining
- St Dunstan in the East
- St Katherine Cree
- St Olave Hart Street
- St Katherine Coleman
- St Margaret Pattens with St Gabriel Fenchurch
- St Andrew Undershaft with St Mary Axe
London Parishes 1824
This church derives its name from being dedicated to All Saints, and the word Staining (or more properly Stane or Stone) was added to distinguish it from other churches built of timber. We cannot learn when it was founded; but it was so ancient as to fall down about the year 1669, and, being soon rebuilt, was beautified in the year 1694.
It is situate on the west side of Mark-lane, within the walls of London, in the ward of Langbourn, but the parish is in three wards, viz. Langbourn, Tower, and Aldgate.
The living is a lay-impropriation, but a rectory in its nature, the tithes being paid, according to act of parliament, to the incumbent for his own use. The advowson is in the worshipful company of Grocers, as executors of the lady Slany. The tithes are said to amount to £400. Rector, Rev. L. Sharpe. — Lecturer, the Rector.— Parish-clerk, Mr. G. Watson. Divine service at 11 and 3. Here are two gift sermons: one on St. Stephen’s day, and one on St. Luke’s day. Open vestry. 7 bells. 112 houses.
Ironmonger’s Hall is in this parish. Six boys are taught to read and write, and, when qualified, are put out apprentice, with each of whom is given the sum of £10, pursuant to the will of Mr. William Winter.
This parish takes in the west side of Billiter-street, and two houses beyond it; ten houses in the square, and five in the passage leading to Fenchurch street; Ironmonger’s Hall; and up Fenchurch street on the north side to 123; from the binding room of Clotbworker’s Hall down Fenchurch street to 21 Mark lane; crosses to the corner of Hart street, and includes part of said corner house; from the corner of Hart street up the north side of Mark lane to Fenchurch street; all London street, except No. 13.
Source: London parishes: containing the situation, antiquity, and re-building of the churches within the bills of mortality. B. Weed 1824
A Topographical Dictionary of London and Its Environs 1831
ALLHALLOWS STAINING the church of is situated near the eastern extremity of Langbourn Ward on the west side and near to the north end of Mark lane within four houses of Fenchurch street It is believed to be of Saxon origin from its cognomen Stane corruptly Staining the Saxon word for stone probably to distinguish it from some other that was of wood It is mentioned as early as 1329 when Edward Camel was its incumbent It was anciently a rectory under the patronage of the De Walthams till 1365 when Simon Bishop of London presented it to the abbot and convent of De Grace near the Tower At the reformation it devolved to the crown and was afterwards sold by James I to George Bingley and others in soccage It came afterwards into the possession of Lady Slany who bequeathed it to the Grocer’s Company who still hold the advowson but it is not in charge.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of London and Its Environs 1831; James Elmes; Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831
A Handbook for London 1849
Allhallows Staining in Langbourne Ward or Allhallows in Mark Lane.
“Commonly called Stane church (as may be supposed) for a difference from other churches of that name in this city, which of old time were built of timber and since were built of stone.” – Stow, p. 77.
This old church escaped the Fire, and will repay examination. The living is in the gift of the Grocers’ Company. The great Scottish patriot, Sir William Wallace, was lodged as a prisoner, on his first arrival in London, in the house of William de Leyre, a citizen in the parish of All Saints, Fenchurch-street, i.e., Allhallows Staining, at the end of Fenchurch-street.
Source: A Handbook for London, Past and Present. Peter Cunningham. Published by John Murray 1849.
- County: London
- Civil Registration District: London City
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)
- Diocese: London
- Rural Deanery: Post-1868 – East, Pre-1869 – None
- Poor Law Union: East London
- Hundred: London, Within the Walls
- Province: Canterbury