Spalding is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Lincolnshire. Cowbit is a chapelry of Spalding.
Other places in the parish include: Fulney, Little London, Low Fulney, Wykeham, Wickham, Windsover, Winsover, and Spalding Common.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Plymouth Brethren, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Spalding
- Deeping Fen
- West Pinchbeck
- Morton with Hacconby
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SPALDING, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Lincoln. The town stands on the Welland navigation, and on the Great Northern railway system, at a radiation of lines in five directions, 14¼ miles SSW of Boston; belonged to Morcar the Saxon; was given, by William the Conqueror, to Ivo Tailbois; acquired, in 1501, a Benedictine priory, some existing remains of which have been converted into dwelling-houses; gave the title of Baron to the family of Eardley; was the native place of M. Johnson, the founder of the Spalding Gentleman's society; is a seat of petty-sessions, quarter-sessions, and county courts; publishes a weekly newspaper; carries on extensive commerce in corn, meal, flour, timber, wool, and oil-cake, as a sub-port to Boston; sends off quantities of fruit and vegetables by railway; maintains coach-works, breweries, four large steam flour-mills, other flour-mills, a steam saw-mill, and a large bone-mill; is well-paved, and well supplied with water; and has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, three banking offices, three chief inns, a corn exchange in the Tudor style, built in 1856, at a cost of nearly £3,000, a sessions-house built at a cost of £6,000, a police station built at a cost of £1,400, a county-house of correction with capacity for 80 male and 15 female prisoners, a high bridge rebuilt in 1838, a grand and very spacious cruciform church, early English, with many additions and alterations, nine dissenting chapels, an ultra-mural cemetery formed at a cost of about £4,500, a mechanics' institute, three endowed schools with £200, £170, and £101 a year, two suites of alms houses, a dispensary, a workhouse, general charities £600, a weekly market on Tuesday, and fairs on 27 April, 29 June, 28 Aug., 25 Sept., and Dec. 6. Pop. in 1861, 7,032. Houses, 1,524.
The parish contains also Winsover, Wykeham, and Fulney hamlets, and part of Pinchbeck N fen. Acres, 12,070. Real property, £44,466; of which £500 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 8,829; in 1861, 8,723. Houses, 1,885. The manor belongs to M. Johnson's trustees and F. Bonner, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £950. Patrons, Trustees. The sub-district excludes the parts of Pinchbeck fen, but includes parts of two other parishes. Pop. in 1851, 9,412; in 1861, 9,253. Houses, 2,002. The district comprehends also the sub-districts of Pinchbeck, Donington, Gosberton, and Moulton; and comprises 7,181 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £11,259. Pop. in 1851, 21,290; in 1861, 20,949. Houses, 4,517. Marriages in 1863, 148; births, 698, of which 70 were illegitimate; deaths, 408, of which 147 were at ages under 5 years, and 10 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,523; births, 6,955; deaths, 4,324. The places of worship, in 1851, were 13 of the Church of England, with 6,105 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 1,056 s.; 7 of Baptists, with 1,910 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 300 s.; 14 of Wesleyans, with 2,128 s.; 7 of Primitive Methodists, with 982 s.; 1 undefined, with 40 s.; and 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 100 s. The schools were 20 public day-schools, with 2,217 scholars; 56 private day-schools, with 916 s.; 38 Sunday schools, with 3,476 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 20 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Adams John, Spalding, Lincolnshire, miller and baker, July 20, 1822.
- County: Lincolnshire
- Civil Registration District: Spalding
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lincoln (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lincoln
- Rural Deanery: Holland
- Poor Law Union: Spalding
- Hundred: Elloe
- Province: Canterbury