Lincolnshire is bounded, North by the Humber, East by the German Ocean, South by Cambridge, Northampton, and Rutland, and West by Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire. It is about 76 miles long and 46 broad; and is divided into three Parts — Holland, Lindsey, and Kesteven — which are subdivided into 30 hundreds and Wapentakes, namely, Elloe, Kinton, Skirbeck, Aswardhurn, Aveland, Beltisloe, Boothby-Graffo, Flexwell, Langoe, Loveden, Ness, Winnibriggs and Threo, Grantham with Stoke, Aslacoe, Soke of Bolinbroke, Bradley, Calceworth, Candleshoe, Corringham, Gartree, Hill, Soke of Horncastle, Lawress, Louth-Eske, Ludborough, Manley, Walshcroft, Well, Wraggoe, Yarborough. Rivers: the Witham, the Ankholme, the Weiland, the Dun, the Idle, the Humber, and the Trent. There are 31 Market-Towns in this county. It contains 2,740 square miles, or 1,758,720 acres. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Lincoln, and in the Midland Circuit. Population, 362,062.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.