Seal Leicestershire & Derbyshire Family History Guide

Seal is an Ancient Parish mostly in Leicestershire and partly in Derbyshire.

Other places in the parish include: Blackfordby, Over Seal, Oakthorpe, Nether Seal, Nether and Over Seal with Goster, Leas and Boothorpe, Donisthorpe, and Boothorpe.

Alternative names: Seale, Nether and Over Seal, Nether Seal with Over Seal, Over Seal and Nether Seal

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1566
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1563

Separate registers exist for Blackfordby

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630

Separate registers exist for Donisthorpe

  • Parish registers: 1838
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1838

Separate registers exist for Over Seal

  • Parish registers: 1841
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1842

Nonconformists include: General Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Stretton en le Field
  • Church Gresley
  • Lullington
  • Clifton Campville
  • Chilcote
  • Willesley
  • Rosliston
  • Woodville
  • Ashby de la Zouch Holy Trinity
  • Measham

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SEAL, a township and a parish in Ashby-de-la-Zouch district, Leicester. The township lies on the river Mease, 2¾ miles SSW of Moira r. station, and 5½ SW of Ashby-de-la-Zouch; bears the name of Nether and Over Seal; and contains the village of Nether Seal and the hamlet of Over Seal, each of which has a post-office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Real property, £8,405. Pop. in 1851, 1,085; in 1861, 1,246. Houses, 270. The parish contains also parts of Donisthorpe hamlet and Blackfordby chapelry. Acres, with the rest of Donisthorpe, but without the part of Blackfordby, 4,890. Pop. in 1851, 1,330; in 1861, 1,576. Houses, 337. The manor, with Grangewood House, belongs to Capt. G. T. Mowbray. S. Hall is the residence of E. W. Robertson, Esq.; and S. Old Hall, of Admiral H. Bagot. A British camp was at Cadborough; and a barrow is near Dead Dane Bottom. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £950. Patron, Sir T. Gresley, Bart. The church is early English. A chapel of ease is at Overseal, and was built in 1841. There are a Baptist chapel, two parochial schools, alms-houses with £104 a year, and other charities £14.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

England, Derbyshire, Church of England Parish Registers, 1537-1918

Administration

County: Leicestershire; Derbyshire
Civil Registration District: Ashby de la Zouch
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Leicester
Diocese: Peterborough
Rural Deanery: Akeley
Poor Law Union: Ashby de la Zouch
Hundred: West Goscote
Province: Canterbury