Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1727
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Parishes adjacent to Merevale
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MEREVALE, a parish in the district of Atherstone and counties of Warwick and Leicester: on Watlingstreet, the Terent Valley railway, the Coventry canal, and the river. Anker, and 1 mile W by S of Atherstone r. station. Post town, Atherstone. Acres of the Warwick portion, 1,100. Real property, £1,690. Pop., 132. Houses, 29. Acres of the Leicester portion, 1,050. Pop., 80. Houses, 12. The property is divided among a few. The manor, Merevale Hall, and all the Warwick portion, belong to W. S. Dugdale, Esq. The Hall was recently rebuilt; stands on an eminence about 400 feet above sea-level, commanding a fine view; and is surrounded by a beautiful park. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1148, by Robert, Earl of Ferrers; and is now represented by the parish church, and by some interesting fragments and foundations of its other buildings. The living is a donative in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £24. Patron, W. S. Dugdale, Esq. The church was the chapel at the gate of the abbey; contains three stone coffins, several ancient brasses, a fine alabaster tomb of Lord Ferrars, and monuments of the Stratfords and the Dugdales; and was recently in a very dilapidated condition.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
County: Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Civil Registration District: Atherstone
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Merevale
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Atherstone
Hundred: Warwickshire: Hemlingford; Leicestershire: Sparkenhoe