Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1580
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1582
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Ab Kettleby
- Nether Broughton
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Ab Kettleby, near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Ab-Kettleby, a township and parish in Melton Mowbray Registration District, Leicester. The township lies on an affluent of the river Wreak, at Broughton hill, 2¾ miles N by E of Asfordby r. station, and 3 NW by N of Melton-Mowbray; and has a post-office under Melton-Mowbray. Pop., 224. Houses, 50. The parish contains also the township of Holwell. Acres, 2,920. Rated property, £1,805. Pop., 371. Houses, 82. The property is sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, not reported. Patron, Rev. T. Bingham. The church belonged anciently to Laund priory, was recently restored, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Ab-Kettleby (St. James), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Melton Mowbray, on the road to Nottingham; containing, with the hamlet of Holwell, 380 inhabitants. This parish, situated near the border of Nottinghamshire, comprises 2127 acres, of which 660 are arable, and 1467 pasture. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £15. 10. 5., and in the patronage of the Rev. Thomas Bingham: the tithes for the waste grounds inclosed in the parish were commuted for land by an inclosure act in 1761. At Holwell is a chapel of ease. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported by the incumbent.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Ab-Kettleby, a parish in the hund. of Framland, Melton-Mowbray union, county of Leicester; 3½ miles north-west by north from Melton-Mowbray, and on the post road from that town to Nottingham. It contains the townships of Ab-Kettleby and Holwell. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Leicester and dio. of Lincoln; rated at £15 10s. 5d. Patron, in 1829, the Rev. T. Bingham. Pop. in 1801, 254; in 1831, 331. Houses 70. Acres 2,920. A. P. £1,678. Poor rates, in 1837, £127.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom Capper 1808
Abkettleby, a parish in the hundred of Framland, Leicester, 3 miles from Melton-Mowbray, and 107 from London; containing 35 houses and 169 inhabitants. Is a vicarage, value 15l. 10s. 5d
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Civil Registration District: Melton Mowbray
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Leicester
Rural Deanery: Framland
Poor Law Union: Melton Mowbray