Woodplumpton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1743 from chapelry in St Michael on Wyre Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Lower Bartle, Higher Plumpton, Eaves, and Catforth.
Alternative names: Plumpton Wood, Wood Plumpton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1604
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1674
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Ashton upon Ribble St Andrew
- Lancaster St Mary
- St Michael on Wyre
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PLUMPTON-WOOD, a village and a parochial chapelry in St. Michael-on-Wyre parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Lancaster and Preston canal, 1¼ mile S W of Barton r. station, and 4¼ NW by N of Preston. The chapelry also contains the hamlets of Catforth, Eaves, Higher Plumpton, and Lower Bartle; and its post town is Preston. Acres, 4,722. Real property, £9,516. Pop. in 1851, 1,574; in 1861, 1,462. Houses, 292. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Birley, Esq. P.-W. House, P.-W. Lodge, Swil-brook House, Barnfield House, Hollowforth, and Bartle Hall are chief residences. Extensive tile and drain-pipeworks are at Eaves and Catforth. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £175. Patron, the Vicar of St. Michael-on-Wyre. The church is ancient, and was modernised in 1852. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £23 a year, a small workhouse, and charities £24.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Preston
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness
Rural Deanery: Amounderness
Poor Law Union: Preston