Winwick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.
Other places in the parish include: Winwick with Hulme, Risley, Myddleton, Middleton, Kenyon, Hulme, Houghton, Middleton and Arbury, Houghton, Haydock, and Arbury.
Alternative names: Winwick with Hulme
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1563
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian Unitarian, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Croft with Southworth
- Warrington St Elfin
- Burton Wood
- Newton in Makerfield St Peter
- Newton in Makerfield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WINWICK, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Warrington district, Lancashire. The township lies 2 miles S by E of Newton r. station, and 2½ N of Warrington; bears the name of W.-with-Hulme; and has a post-office under Newton-le-Willows. Acres, 1,431. Real property, £3,579. Pop., 451. Houses, 87. The parish includes Houghton, Middleton, and Arbury township; and comprises 2,270 acres. Pop., 704. Houses, 132. The property is much subdivided. W. Hall is the seat of the Rev. F. G. Hopwood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is chiefly ancient; was partly rebuilt in 1848, and extensively improved in 1858; and has a tower, with octagonal spire. There is an endowed grammar-school with £34 a year. The sub-district includes Croft-with-Southworth parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Warrington
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Winwick
Poor Law Union: Warrington
Hundred: West Derby