Whitworth is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1721 from chapelry in Rochdale St Chad Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Whitworth Lower End, Whitworth Higher End, and Whitworth and Brandwood.
Alternative names: Rochdale Whitworth St Bartholomew
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1839
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1758
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHITWORTH, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Rochdale parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands 3¼ miles N by W of Rochdale r. station, and has a post-office under Rochdale. The chapelry was formerly more extensive than now. Rated property, £15,786. Recent pop., 4,324. The property is much subdivided. W. House was formerly the residence of the “Whitworth doctors;” and is now the residence of J. E. Taylor, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patrons, Trustees. The church was rebuilt in 1775; and is cruciform, with a steeple. There is an endowed school with £14 a year. The sub-district comprises the Whitworth and Brandwood sections of Spotland township. Real property, £51,695; of which £9,465 are in mines, £2,045 in quarries, and £93 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 9,215; in 1861, 14,006. Houses, 2,717.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
WHITWORTH, a district chapelry, in the parish and union of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2¾ miles (N. by W.) from Rochdale. It lies on the road from Rochdale to Burnley. The manor was granted by “divers donators” to the convent of Stanlow in Cheshire, in the reign of John; among these donors was Sir John de Elland, parcener of the lordship of Rochdale, who gave one moiety of the manor. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was founded by the principal inhabitants of the township, about the time when Todmorden and Milnrow chapels were built, “an era,” observes Dr. Whitaker, “of chapel building.” The edifice appears to have been rebuilt in the reign of William and Mary; it was again rebuilt in 1775, and the burial-ground was consecrated twenty years afterwards by Bishop Cleaver. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mrs. Langton, Mrs. Hornby, and James Starky, Esq.; net income, £256. Twelve children are taught to read for £14. 10. a year, arising from certain cottages bequeathed by James Starky, of Leigh, mercer, in 1724.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Rochdale
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Rochdale
- Poor Law Union: Rochdale
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York