Weeton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1846 from Kirkham Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Preese.
Alternative names: Weeton and Preese, Weeton with Preese
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1850
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1872
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
WEETON, with Preese, a township, and ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Kirkham, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 3¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from the town of Kirkham; the township containing 545 inhabitants. This place, in Domesday book called Widetun, was early in the family of Walter. Theobald de Botiller, a descendant of Theobald Walter, held the manor in the 33rd of Henry III.; and in the reign of Edward III., James, son of Edmund le Botiller or Butler, Earl of Ormonde, was the lord. The manor was eventually held by Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Butler, Lord Ossory, who in 1673 was married to the 9th Earl of Derby, from whom it has descended to the present earl. The township comprises 2824 acres, of which 64 are common or waste land; the surface is rather elevated, and the soil tolerably good. Evidence of the former consequence of the place exists in its court baron, its bailiff, and its ancient fair for horned-cattle, and small wares, held on Trinity-Monday and the following day. The Preston and Wyre railway passes through.
¶The township, together with Great and Little Plumpton, and Greenhalgh, form the ecclesiastical parish of Weeton: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkham. The tithes of Weeton township have been commuted for £386 payable to the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church, Oxford, and £51. 19. 11. to the vicar. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was built in 1842, at a cost of £600, and is in the early English style, with a campanile turret. There is a Methodist place of worship; and adjacent to the church is a school. In Sept. 1846, a labourer, while cutting a trench near the Roman military way at Weeton, discovered a Roman-British celt of superior workmanship and size, very sharp at the edge, and made of bellmetal.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Fylde
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Amounderness
- Poor Law Union: Fylde
- Hundred: Amounderness
- Province: York