Walney is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1742 from Dalton in Furness Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Walney Island, Piel Island, Peel, Hawcoat Division, Biggar, Barrow Island, and Barrow.
Alternative names: Dalton in Furness Walney St Mary the Virgin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1744
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
WALNEY, ISLE OF, a chapelry, in the parish of Dalton-in-Furness, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (S. W.) from Dalton; containing 921 inhabitants. This district, which is insular only at high water, is ten miles in length, and about one in breadth; and has a lighthouse on its southern extremity, a short distance from which is a rocky islet termed the Pile of Fouldrey, i. e. the island of fowls, where are the venerable ruins of a strong castle. There are several other small isles adjacent, the principal of which is Old Barrow, lying between this and the main land, opposite the small village and port of Barrow. Walney, which is stated to have been once covered with wood, is described by West, in his Antiquities of Furness, as lying on a bed of moss, which is found by digging through a layer of sand and clay, and in which trees have been met with. On the western side of the island were lately discovered a number of guns of various calibre, stone balls of from eight to twelve pounds’ weight, balls of hammered iron, old swords, and other articles, supposed to have belonged to a wrecked vessel, of which a tradition has existed for several centuries. One of the guns measured ten feet in length; all were of wrought or hammered iron, and were provided with rings to allow them to be slung with ropes when fired, which shows that gun-carriages were not in use when they were made. The relics all lay imbedded in the sand and clay, at a place only accessible at low water. There are some remarkable intermitting springs of fresh water in the island. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £94; patron, the Vicar of Dalton.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WALNEY, an island and a chapelry in Dalton-in-Furness parish, Lancashire. The island is separated from Lower Furness by a narrow strait; adjoins, in its central part, the harbour and town of Barrow-in-Furness; extends south-south-eastward, from the month of the Duddon’s estuary to the N side of the entrance of Morecambe bay; measures 8 miles in length, and nowhere more than 1 mile in breadth; is low, flat, and distributed into about a dozen farms; contains two small villages; is surmounted, at the S end, by a lighthouse 68 feet high, erected in 1790; and has a post-office under Barrow-in-Furness. The chapelry includes one or two neighbouring islets; and its statistics are returned with the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £140. Patron, the Vicar of Dalton. The church is recent. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ulverstone
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Furness
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Furness and Cartmel
- Poor Law Union: Ulverston
- Hundred: Lonsdale
- Province: York