Upholland is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1643 from Wigan All Saints Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Tontine, Robyhill, Roby Mill, Holland, Hall Green, and Dalton.
Parish church: St. Thomas the Martyr
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1600
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1619
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Wigan All Saints
- Lathom St James
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
UPHOLLAND, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Wigan parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands 1 mile NNW of Orrell r. station and 4 W of Wigan; and has a post-office under Wigan, and a cattle and horse fair on Easter Monday. The township contains also three hamlets, and comprises 4,452 acres. Real property, £16,912; of which £5,500 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,359; in 1861, 3,463. Houses, 685. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Skelmersdale. Holland Grove is the seat of G. Bolderstone, Esq. A Benedictine priory was founded here, in 1319, by Sir R. de Holland; and has left some remains. Stone and slate are quarried, and fire bricks are made. The chapelry is more extensive than the township. Pop., 6,091. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300. Patron. the Rector of Wigan. The church was the chapel of the priory. A school at Pimbo-Lane is used as a chapel of ease. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed grammar-school, two national schools, and charities £110. The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres, 9,220. Pop., 6,982. Houses, 1,360.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wigan
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wigan
Poor Law Union: Wigan
Hundred: West Derby