Tydesley cum Shakerley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1827 from Leigh Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Shakerley.
Alternative names: Tydesley, Tyldesley, Tyldesley with Shackerley, Tyldesley with Shakerley
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1825
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1825
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Primitive Methodist, Swedenborgian/New Jerusalem/New Church, and Wesleyan Methodist.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
TYLDESLEY, or Tyldesley cum Shackerley (St. George), a township and parochial district, in the union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 10 miles (W. by N.) from Manchester; containing 4718 inhabitants. Tyldesley, though unnoticed in Domesday book, certainly formed part of the Norman barony of Warrington, being claimed to be within its jurisdiction in all pleas to quo warrantos by the lords of that honour or barony that have occurred. Under these barons, the proprietors who adopted the local name settled, holding by service of the tenth part of a knight’s fee. The suits to the courts of the barony and hundred have long been disused; and the mesne manor, also, is nearly extinct. Of the family of Tyldesley was the celebrated royalist Sir Thomas Tyldesley. In 1672, Edward, the son of this gallant officer, sold the paternal estate to the Astleys, from whom it passed to Thomas Johnson, Esq., of Bolton, whose family held it until 1823: the property then came, by devise, to George Ormerod, Esq., of Chorlton, in Cheshire, the historian of that county. The hamlet of Shackerley is in the higher division of the township, and was until lately almost exclusively the property of a family of that name, who inhabited the Hall till the middle of the last century. It now belongs to the trustees of the late Ellis Fletcher, of Clifton.
In 1827 the township was separated from Leigh, and erected into a distinct parish as regards ecclesiastical affairs. It comprises 2700 acres, of which 300 are arable, 800 meadow, 10 woodland, and the remainder pasture. About 2000 hands are employed in six cotton-mills, and the rest of the population is engaged in hand-loom weaving, in agriculture, and in collieries. The village of Tyldesley is situated on a luxuriant mount, and commands a very extensive prospect over mid-Lancashire, of which it is nearly the centre. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £148; patron, Lord Lilford. The church, erected in 1825, by Her Majesty’s Commissioners, at a cost of £11,700, is a handsome structure of stone, designed by Smirke, in the later English style, with a spire rising to the height of 150 feet; it accommodates 1084 persons. The site was presented by the late Thomas Johnson, Esq.; and Mr. Ormerod gave a peal of bells, a painted window (the eastern), an organ, and ground for a cemetery: the communion-plate was the gift of Mrs. Ormerod. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and the Connexion of the Countess of Huntingdon. Among several antique mansions in Tyldesley is Astley Hall, or Damhouse, on the border of Astley.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Leigh
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Eccles
- Poor Law Union: Leigh
- Hundred: West Derby
- Province: York