Tatham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Tatham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TATHAM, a parish in Lancaster district, Lancashire; 1 mile SE of Wennington r. station, and 4½ E of Hornby. It includes Tatham-Fell chapelry, and its Post town is Wray under Lancaster. Acres, 8,501. Real property, £5,519. Pop., 588. Houses, 115. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, J. Foster, Esq. The church is later English.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
TATHAM (St. James), a parish, in the hundred of Lonsdale, south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster; containing, with the chapelry of Tatham-Fell, 677 inhabitants, of whom 324 are in Tatham township, 11 miles (N. E. by E.) from Lancaster. The parish is situated on the river Wenning, and comprises by admeasurement 4000 acres; the soil is chiefly clay, and there are a few mines of coal in operation. A fair for cattle is held on March 12th, in the village of Lowgill. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 5.; net income, £195; patron, the Devisee of the late John Marsden, Esq. The church is a handsome structure, the steeple of which was built in 1722. There is a school endowed with an estate producing £26 a year. A Roman road passes through the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Lancaster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Lonsdale
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Tunstall
- Poor Law Union: Caton Gilbert Union
- Hundred: Lonsdale
- Province: York