Tarleton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1821 from chapelry in Croston Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1719
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Tarleton
- Hesketh with Becconsall
- North Meols
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TARLETON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Douglas, 2½ miles WNW of Croston r. station, and 8 NNE of Ormskirk; and has a post-office under Preston. The parish is cut into three divisions, and comprises 5,405 acres. Real property, £8,081. Pop., 1,987. Houses, 365. The manor belongs to Sir T. G. Hesketh, Bart., and Lord Lilford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £960. Patron, the Rev. M. Fletcher. The church is a plain brick building. A national school at Mere-Brow is used as a chapel of ease. There are three Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £29 a year, a school of industry, and charities £8. The sub-district contains 20 parishes. Acres, 12,139. Pop., 3,656. Houses, 667.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
TARLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ormskirk, hundred of Leyland, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 8 ½ miles (N. by E.) from Ormskirk ; containing 1877 inhabitants. This was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Croston, and comprises 5323 acres, of which 535 are common or waste. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Rector of Croston : a rent-charge of £3. 4. 9. is paid to the vicar of Betham, in lieu of tithes; another, of £7. 2. 3½., to certain impropriators; and a third, of £95, to the free grammar school, Kirkby-Lonsdale. The church was consecrated in 1719. A free school, erected in 1650, is endowed with £30 per annum.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Barron John, Tarleton, Lancashire, maltster, Feb. 22, 1825.
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ormskirk
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Leyland
- Poor Law Union: Ormskirk
- Hundred: Leyland
- Province: York