Stidd is an extra-parochial place.
Alternative names: Stede
Parish church: God and Our Holy Saviour
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers:
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STEDE, or Stidd, a chapelry in Ribchester parish, Lancashire; ¾ of a mile N of Ribchester. The statistics are returned with the parish; and the living is annexed to Ribchester rectory. The church is of the time of King Stephen, has been curtailed of much of its quondam proportions, and is seldom used. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a school connected with it, and alms houses.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
DUTTON, a township, in the parish of Ribchester, union of Preston, Lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Blackburn; containing 563 inhabitants. This place gave name to a family, which occurs in charters without date; and lands here were possessed by numerous other ancient families, among whom were the Tounleys, whose surviving heiress died of extreme old age in 1799: the manor afterwards became the property of the Fentons, by purchase from the Welds. Within the township was the ancient “Hospitale subtus Langrig,” with its chapel of Stidd, dedicated to God and Our Holy Saviour; it existed as early as the reign of John, and shared the fate of the religious houses at the Reformation. Stidd chapel, now a chapel of ease, is one of the oldest entire buildings in the county; the edifice is of grey stone, with a porch of primitive simplicity, and a fine-pointed semi-Saxon arch with slender clustered columns. The site of the chapel is a croft, formerly a cemetery, now overgrown with grass; and the eastern gable is richly clothed with ivy, festooning the window inside and out. For many ages, an ancient stone coffin-tomb was to be seen on the north side of the altar, inscribed with the double cross of the Hospitallers (the establishment having been at one period a commandery of the Knights); but it is now covered up: one of the lords of Salesbury, and his lady, are interred beneath the altar; and immediately before it lie the remains of the Roman Catholic bishop of Armorium (Petre), who died in 1725. The township comprises 1665 statute acres, whereof 847 customary acres are arable, 59 wood, and 122 waste. The village is situated about a mile north-by-east of the village of Ribchester. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £90. The Roman Catholics have a place of worship, built in 1795, with almshouses adjoining.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Preston
- Probate Court: Search the courts of the surrounding parishes
- Diocese: Not Applicable
- Rural Deanery: Not Applicable
- Poor Law Union: Preston
- Hundred: Blackburn
- Province: York