St Michael on Wyre is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.
Other places in the parish include: Great Eccleston in the Fylde, Car House Green Common, Carhouse Green Common, Catforth, Eaves, Upper Rawcliffe with Tranacre, Tarnacre, Tarnicar, Upper Rawcliffe, Upper Rawcliffe with Tarnacre, and Sowerby.
Parish registers begin: 1660
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
Parishes adjacent to St Michael on Wyre
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MICHAEL-ON-WYRE (ST.), a village and sub-district in Garstang district, and a parish partly also in Fylde and Preston districts, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Wyre, 3 miles W by N of Brock r. station, and 3½ SW of Garstang; is in the township of Upper Rawcliffe-with-Tarnacre; and has a neat stone bridge over the river. The sub-district comprises the St. Michael townships of Out-Rawcliffe, Upper-Rawcliffe-with-Tarnacre, Great Eccleston, and Inskip-with-Sowerby, the Lancaster township of Myerscough, and the Garstang township of Bilsborrow. Acres, 15,965. Pop., 3,359. Houses, 638. The parish, in addition to its four townships in the sub-district, contains the townships of Elswick and Wood-Plumpton. Post town, Garstang, Lancashire. Acres, 18,114; of which 180 are water. Real property, £29,570. Pop. in 1851, 4,680; in 1861, 4,509. Houses, 879. The property is much subdivided. The manors of Upper Rawcliffe and Inskip belong to the Earl of Derby; that of Out-Rawcliffe belongs to the representatives of the late R. W. France, Esq.; and that of Wood-Plumpton belongs to Birley, Esq. Rush cutting is largely carried on in Great Eccleston; and tiles and drain-pipes are extensively made in Wood-Plumpton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £580. Patron, the Rev. W. Hornby. The church is of the time of Henry VIII.; succeeded an ancient one, supposed to have been built about 640; comprises nave and aisles, with battlemented tower; and includes a N oratory, formerly the mortuary chapel of the Butler family. The chapelries of Cop or Great Eccleston, Out-Rawcliffe, Inskip, and Wood-Plumpton are separate benefices. There are, in the several townships, a Baptist chapel, three Wesleyan chapels, two Primitive Methodist chapels, two Roman Catholic chapels, two endowed schools and three national schools. There are also, in Wood-Plumpton, a police station and a small workhouse.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Tarnicar, with Upper Rawcliffe, a township, in the parish of St. Michael, union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county palatine of Lancaster, 4¼ miles (S. W.) from Garstang; containing 671 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Garstang
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Amounderness
- Poor Law Union: Fylde, Preston
- Hundred: Amounderness
- Province: York