Singleton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1754 from a chapelry in Kirkham Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Pool Foot, Little Singleton, and Great Singleton.
Alternative names: Great and Little Singleton, Singleton-in-the-Fylde
Parish church: St. Anne
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1841
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SINGLETON (Great and Little), a township-chapelry in Kirkham parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 2½ miles SE of Poulton r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Great S., under Preston. Acres, 2,860; of which 225 are water. Real property, £4,192. Pop., 338. Houses, 57. S. Lodge and Grange Hall are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £110. Patron, T. Miller, Esq. The church was built in 1861; and has a tower with lofty spire. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SINGLETON-in-the-Fylde, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirkham, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Poulton; consisting of Great and Little Singleton, and containing 391 inhabitants. Singleton is mentioned in the Domesday survey, and was once the property of a family of the local name. Edmund Dudley, who was attainted and executed in 1510, possessed Little Singleton; and in the 13th of Henry VIII., Thomas, Earl of Derby, doubtless by grant of the escheat, held that manor of the king. In the last century, the manor of Great Singleton had come to the Fanshaw family, from whom it passed to that of Cunliffe-Shaw; and was sold by William Cunliffe-Shaw, Esq., to Joseph Hornby, Esq., of Ribby Hall. The chapelry is bounded on the north by the river Wyre, and comprises 2538 acres of land, equally divided between arable and pasture. A fair for sheep is held on September 21st. Bank Field, in Little Singleton, is the property of Mrs. Harrison; and Maines Hall, in the same district, the residence of Captain Harrison, late H. E. I. C. S. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Hugh Hornby, Esq., sole proprietor, and lord of the manor, of Great Singleton; net income, £110. The tithes have been commuted for £43. 5. payable to the vicar of Kirkham, and £353. 11. 6. to the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church, Oxford. The chapel, dedicated to St. Anne, was rebuilt in 1809, by the father of the patron, at a cost of £3000; it is a neat structure with a square tower, and has seven windows of painted glass. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Fylde
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Amounderness
- Poor Law Union: Fylde
- Hundred: Amounderness
- Province: York