Shaw is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1719 from Prestwich St Mary Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: High Crompton and Cowlishaw.
Alternative names: Crompton, Oldham Shaw in Crompton Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1704
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1723
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent Methodist, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHAW, a village and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Beal, near the Oldham and Rochdale railway, 2½ miles NNE of Oldham; is a large place, with well edificed and well-paved streets; presents a neat and clean appearance; carries on industry in cotton mills and in other establishments; and has a post-office under Oldham, and a r.station with telegraph. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 3, 618. Houses, 767. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £220. Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. A new church, to be in the early decorated style, and to cost about £7, 500, was founded in 1869. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CROMPTON, a township, in the borough, parochial chapelry, and union of Oldham, parish of Prestwichcum-Oldham, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Oldham; containing, with the villages of Shaw, High Compton, and Cowlishaw, 6729 inhabitants. This, the most northern part of the chapelry, has the largest population of any of the townships connected with Oldham, and its growth in trade has fully kept pace with the other parts of this flourishing district. A bleak situation, and somewhat sterile soil, have produced a race of hardy and laborious men, and the close connexion with Saddleworth has given to the people much of the manners and character which prevail in that hilly country. The population is employed in the spinning and manufacture of cotton, the making of hats, and in collieries and stone-quarries. The ancient mansion of Crompton Hall, having fallen into decay, has lately been rebuilt by the owner, Henry Travis Milne, Esq., a descendant of the feudal family of Crompton. Shaw, which lies on the east side of the village of Crompton, has a parochial chapel. The former edifice was of great antiquity, and was twice enlarged and re-edified during the last century; the present structure was built in the latter part of it, by subscription, aided by a grant. The living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the Rector of Prestwich; net income, £250. In 1845 a district or parish was formed under the 6th and 7th of Victoria, cap. 37, called East Crompton; and a church, dedicated to St. James, was built in 1847: the edifice is in the pointed style, with a tower, and contains 586 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patrons, the Crown and the Bishop of Chester, alternately. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £93. There are various places of worship for dissenters; and several schools.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Oldham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Rochdale
- Poor Law Union: Oldham
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York