Rusland is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1750 from Colton Ecclesiastical Parish.
Alternative names: Colton Rusland St Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1781
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1852
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RUSLAND, a chapelry in Colton parish, Lancashire; 5½ miles S by W of Hawkshead, and 8 NNE of Ulverston r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and its post town is Newton-in-Cartmel. Pop., 178. Houses, 36. R. Hall is the seat of D. Archibald, Esq.; Whitestock Hall, of the Rev. J. Romney; and Thwaite Moss, of E. Twisaday, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of . Carlisle. Value, £64. Patron, the Vicar of Colton. The church is good; and there is a Quakers’ chapel, supposed to have been founded by George Fox.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ulverstone
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Furness
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Furness and Cartmel
- Poor Law Union: Ulverston
- Hundred: Lonsdale
- Province: York