Rufford is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1726 from chapelry in Croston Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Holmes-wood.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1673
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1632
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Burscough Bridge
- Mawdesley with Bispham
- Lathom St James
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RUFFORD, a village and a parish in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Douglas, near the Liverpool and Preston railway, 5½ miles NNE of Ormskirk; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Ormskirk, and a cattle fair on 13 May. The parish contains also the hamlet of Holmes-Wood, and comprises 3,102 acres. Real property, £6,185. Pop., 865. Houses, 149. The manor and most of the land belong to Sir Thomas G. Hesketh, Bart. The New Hall is Sir Thomas’ seat; and the Old Hall is the residence of the Dowager Lady Hesketh. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £495. Patrons, the Representatives of the late L. Starkie. The church is of brick, with a bell-cupola. There are an endowed school for girls, a schoolfor boys, and charities £22.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Alderson Thompson, Rufford, Lancashire, innkeeper, Dec. 9, 1834.
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Ormskirk
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Leyland
- Poor Law Union: Ormskirk
- Hundred: Leyland
- Province: York