Royton, Lancashire Family History Guide

Royton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1757 from chapelry in Oldham St Mary Ecclesiastical Parish.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1755
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1758

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Society of Friends/Quaker

Adjacent Parishes

  • Chadderton St Matthew
  • Coldhurst
  • East Crompton
  • Oldham St Mary
  • Oldham St James
  • Middleton

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ROYTON, a large village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Oldham district, Lancashire. The village stands at the terminus of the Manchester, Oldham, and Royton railway, near the junction with it of the Oldham and Rochdale railway, 2 miles NNW of Oldham; is a place of some antiquity and note; numbers among its natives the mathematicians Butterworth and Kay, and the botanist Mellor; carries on industry inlarge cotton factories; and has a post-office under Oldham, a railway station with telegraph, another r. station at R. r. junction, a police station, a public-bath, a church, three dissenting chapels, a national school, and several libraries, improvement societies, and other insituations. The chapelry comprises 1,352 acres, and is in Prestwich parish, and within Oldham borough. Real property, £20,566; of which £628 are in mines, and £220 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 6,974; in 1861, 7,493. Houses, 1,562. The property is not much divided. R. Hall was given, by Edward II., to Sir John de by ron; belongs now, to Sir J. Radcliffe, Bart., the chief landed proprietor; and has been divided into tenements. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The sub-district contains also the township of Thornham, and comprises 3,350 acres. Pop. in 1851, 8,484; in 1861, 9,520. Houses, 1,941.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Lancashire
  • Civil Registration District: Oldham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Manchester
  • Rural Deanery: Rochdale
  • Poor Law Union: Oldham
  • Hundred: Salford
  • Province: York