Rivington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1754 from chapelry in Bolton le Moors St Peter Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Rovington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1637
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian Unitarian
- Bolton le Moors St Peter
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RIVINGTON, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Chorley district, Lancashire. The village stands on the side of a hill, 2 miles ENE of Adlington r. station, and 4 SE of Chorley; overlooks the large reservoir of the Liverpool water-works; and has a post-office under Chorley. The chapelry comprises 2,630 acres; and is in Bolton-le-Moors parish. Real property, £2,153. Pop., 369. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. R. Hall, Gillbrook Hall, and Beech House are chief residences. R. Pike is a mountain 1,345 feet high, and had formerly a beacon. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £90 Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church is tolerable; and there are a Presbyterian chapel, and an endowed grammar-school with £310 a year. The sub-district contains also another township of Bolton, and three of Standish. Acres, 7,742. Pop., 3,493. Houses, 676.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Chorley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Bolton le Moors
- Poor Law Union: Chorley
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York