Rainford is a chapelry of Prescot Ancient Parish in Lancashire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1718
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RAINFORD, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Prescot parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands on the Ormskirk and St. Helens railway, 1 mile SSE of that railway ‘s intersection by the Liverpool and Wigan railway, and 4¼ miles NW by N of St. Helens; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under St. Helens. The chapelry comprises 5,803 acres. Real property, £12,623; of which £3,280 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2,333; in 1861, 2,784. Houses, 478. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of new collieries. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby. R. Hall, Mount Pleasant, and the Rookery are chief residences. Much of the land is reclaimed morass. Tobacco-pipemaking is largely carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £135. Patron, the Vicar of Prescot. The church is a plain building, with abelfry. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school for boys, and a national school for girls. The sub-district is conterminate with the chapelry.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Prescot
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Chester
- Rural Deanery: Prescot
- Poor Law Union: Prescot
- Hundred: West Derby
- Province: York